Twitter Basics: Using SMS Instead of the Twitter App

Labels: ,

Here are the directions on how to run twitter from your texting plan, if you don't have the ability or the desire to use a twitter app on your smartphone.

1. Send a text to your Twitter code with the word START
2. We'll reply and ask you to sign up if you're new or reply with your username if you already have an account.
3. Send your username (do not send any additional characters in the message, or we won't be able to read it correctly)
4. When Twitter asks for your password, carefully send your password to us (remember: passwords are case sensitive!
5. Twitter will ask you to say OK if you want to use Twitter on your phone. Send OK, and you're all set! Now you can send messages to your Twitter code, and they will post as Tweets on your Twitter profile for all your friends to read.
6. To get others' updates delivered to your phone now, you'll need to turn on mobile updates for those whose Tweets you wish to see on your phone. Until you do this, you will not receive any Tweets to your mobile phone. Check out these other phone commands for more tips and tricks!

I personally use both the twitter app for the iPhone as well as the SMS messaging.

Why? Because part of the beauty of twitter community is the community. Finding followers and becoming a following others, is half of the fun of twitter. However, I don't want to sift through hundreds of tweets from people I only know at a distant level. I want to focus in on a much smaller group of tweeters. So, the people that I really want to keep up with I have notifications sent to me via SMS. The others I just glance at briefly when I open the twitter app once or twice a week. This keeps me from wasting a bunch of time sifting through tweets I don't care about.

Comments (0)

Post a Comment